Travelling with Pets
Top 10 Things to Plan for When Travelling
1. Method of confinement or restraint in the vehicle: Make use of pet carriers or pet seat-belts to prevent injuries from sudden braking or turns.
2. Identification: Make sure your pet is wearing an identification tag at all times or has a microchip.
3. Proof of Rabies Vaccination: Carry your pet’s immunization certificate with you everywhere.
4. Veterinary Contact Information: Take along the contact information for your pet’s regular veterinarian.
5. Pet Medications: Don’t forget to take enough of your pet’s medication with you so you don’t run out. Add an extra couple of days’ worth in anticipation of travel delays. Also, be mindful of those medications that require refrigeration.
6. Food: Take a few more days’ worth of food with you than you think you will actually need or check to make sure your pet’s food is available at your final destination.
7. Supplies: Take pet bowls, toys, familiar bedding and an extra leash.
8. Rest and Relief Stops: Plan for adequate travel stops for potty breaks, light exercise and feeding/drinking.
9. Plan for Pet Care at the Destination: Make arrangements in advance for your pet to be cared for at your destination in case your pet cannot accompany you to all places, such as restaurants.
10. Motion Sickness: If your dog suffers from motion sickness, speak to your veterinarian about Cerenia, the first approved medication to effectively prevent vomiting from motion sickness.